Media highlights impact of Amazon’s HQ2 decision on our region and university
Posted: November 19, 2018 at 4:02 pm, Last Updated: November 19, 2018 at 4:03 pm
The Federal News Network’s “What’s Working in Washington” show/podcast hosted Opus8 CEO Tien Wong, Greater Washington Partnership CEO Jason Miller and myself for a roundtable discussion about the opportunities Amazon HQ2 will bring to Northern Virginia and to the D.C. region. We had a fairly strong agreement as to the transformative power Amazon will have in this region’s competitiveness and innovation fabric.
You can listen to our conversation below, or read a transcript of it.
Amazon’s selection of Northern Virginia has in fact triggered a flurry of press that has helped highlight Mason’s role in building this region as well as our capabilities in the programs likely most valuable to Amazon: computer science and related disciplines.
Below, from the university’s communications office, is a partial sampling of the post-Amazon announcement media coverage:
- Washington Post: Mason, higher ed partners showed foresight ahead of Amazon announcement.
- Washington Post: Mason’s Steven Pearlstein (Schar) op-eds on Amazon’s choice in Northern Virginia as one of the locations for HQ2.
- Washington Post: An analysis by Mason’s Stephen Fuller (Schar) about Amazon’s potential effect on the housing market is mentioned.
- Wall Street Journal: Mason mentioned as part of the ‘cultural community fit’ Amazon was seeking for its expansion
- Inside Higher Ed: Mason’s President Ángel Cabrera comments on university’s plans for expansion with the arrival of Amazon.
- CNN: Mason’s President Ángel Cabrera comments on the impact of Amazon’s decision and Mason’s plans for expansion.
- Chronicle of Higher Education: Mason President Ángel Cabrera comments on what Amazon’s decision to come to Northern Virginia will mean.
- NBC-4 Washington (Video): Mason’s President Ángel Cabrera comments on Mason’s expansion with the arrival of Amazon. (Cabrera starts at the 1:10 mark).
- NPR: (WAMU 88.5): Mason’s expansion plans tied to Amazon’s HQ2 are detailed (with audio).
- WJLA: (ABC-7) (video): Mason’s Jeff Offutt (Volgenau) and Mason student Audrey Sonntag are interviewed about what Amazon’s decision means for Mason and the region.
- The Atlantic: Mason’s Stephen Fuller (Schar) comments on Amazon’s second headquarters.
- USA Today: Stephen Fuller (Schar) comments on Amazon’s choice to split the new headquarters between D.C. and New York.
- The Associated Press: Stephen Fuller (Schar) and Michael Farren (Mercatus) talk about the new Amazon HQ2.
Write to presidentstaff at email@example.com